Little Stars is part of Keyworth Primary School and opened in the Summer of 2019. Here at Little Stars our vision is to provide high quality, play based early childhood education for 2-year olds in the local community. We ensure a safe, nurturing, home from home environment where children’s needs and interests inspire planning to extend learning. Children make use of a range of indoor and outdoor spaces with the best resources which allow children to maximise their learning experience.
Little Stars provides early education and childcare for children aged two to three providing both government funded places. Little Stars is open for term time only.
Little Stars currently offers morning only sessions 8:55am-11:55pm. At present, there are 12 places available for a morning session.
Much like Nursery and Reception at Keyworth Primary School, the learning in Little Stars is based on the seven areas of learning from the Early Years Foundation Stage. However, the Little Stars curriculum focuses heavily on the prime areas of learning as it is these areas which support learning in all other areas of the EYFS curriculum and are fundamental to children’s early development.
The Prime areas are:
- Communication and Language Development involves giving children opportunities to experience a rich language environment; to develop their confidence and skills in expressing themselves; and to speak and listen in a range of situations.
- Physical Development involves providing opportunities for young children to be active and interactive; and to develop their co-ordination, control, and movement. Children must also be helped to understand the importance of physical activity and to make healthy choices in relation to food
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development involves helping children to develop a positive sense of themselves, and others; to form positive relationships and develop respect for others; to develop social skills and learn how to manage their feelings; to understand appropriate behaviour in groups; and to have confidence in their own abilities
All of the activities and provision are planned to support the Characteristics of Effective Learning
- Playing and Exploring – finding out and exploring, playing with what they know and being willing to ‘have a go’.
- Active Learning – being involved and concentrating, persevering and enjoying achieving, what they set out to do.
- Creating and Thinking Critically – having their own ideas, making links and choosing ways to do things.
The day consists of a combination of child-initiated play and group sessions. Group sessions include singing, speaking and listening and storytelling activities particularly designed to encourage language development.
During the week we also offer indoor physical development sessions in which all children can practice key skills to support their physical development.
The environment is equipped to meet the needs, interests and stage of development of each child, igniting curiosity and providing opportunities for quality independent play.
Typical Day in Little Stars AM:
|8:55am||Welcome, settling in and breakfast|
|9:00am||Group time, welcome songs and singing/ story time|
|9:20am||Choosing time / adult led activities|
|10:20am||Choosing time / adult led activities/ nature garden|
|11:00am||Choosing time in the Early Years playground|
Keyworth only offers places in Little Stars to those who are eligible for free 2 year old childcare. Please see the below attachment which explains how to check your eligibility. You can also use this form to apply to Keyworth, if you find you are eligible for the funding.
We currently offer morning sessions in our Little Stars provision, from 8:55am-11:55am.
4Children Parent’s Guide, is a useful document which supports parents with ideas around supporting child development. Please click on the link below